What: Spring Break 2011
When: March and April
Where: Jekyll Island, Ga.
Cost: Rates beginning at $89.99 a night
To continue our Spring Break Guide, today we’re focusing on Jekyll Island, one of the Golden Isles along the Georgia Coast. There is a ton to do on Jekyll Island and even though our family has been there many times, we still discover something new each time we go.
Here’s my Top 5 Things to Do on Jekyll, next to biking on the beach of course. (click the post titles for more information and videos. Field Trips with Sue on Facebook also has some photos of the annual Shrimp and Grits Festival. I was a judge this year! So much fun.)
1. Tidelands Nature Center - This earthy alternative to the Georgia Sea Turtle Center is cheaper and offers fantastic children’s programs. I can still sing the parts of a fish – with the hand movements I’ll have you know! (PS – My kids can too!)
2. Boneyard Beach (or Driftwood Beach as it is stated on the map) – Bring your camera, you’ll want to take pictures of your family among the weathered trees.
3. Geocaching - My family couldn’t find the side of a barn, but we did eventually find some of these caches. This is a great way to keep kids engaged while exploring the Historic District of Jekyll Island.
4. Georgia Sea Turtle Center - The Georgia Sea Turtle Center is a jewel of the Island. You can learn all about these endangered animals and even see them up close as the center rehabilitates them for return to the sea.
5. Lady Jane Shrimp Boat – Technically this is not ON Jekyll Island, but it’s not far. This cruise aboard a working shrimp boat is well worth the short drive and expense. Check out the video on this post to see what we were able to bring up in our nets!
If you’re looking to stay on Jekyll Island, here are some 2011 Spring Break Hotel Deals:
The Jekyll Island Club Hotel
The breeze off the Jekyll River and the manicured landscaping with the azaleas in full bloom make for an exquisite backdrop during your spring getaway to the Jekyll Island Club Hotel! Package includes Clubhouse or Traditional accommodations with Queen, King or two Double beds and a daily breakfast buffet in the Grand Dining Room. Package is available 3/11/201 – 5/26/2011. Based upon availability. Restrictions apply.
$199.00++/night. For reservations, please call 800-535-5947 and mention the “Spring Getaway” package.
Villas by the Sea Resort Hotel
Family Spring Break Getaway, Stay 3, get your 4th FREE, 4-night minimum, Available April 1 – 10, 2011, Tax and 5% resort fee are additional. For reservations, please call 800-841-6262 and mention source code “Spring Break.”
Free wireless high-speed internet access throughout the property.
Quality Inn & Suites on Jekyll Island
“Spring Break” rates starting as low as $89.99 plus tax for the Standard Deluxe Guestrooms and $109.99 -$119.99 plus tax for our 1- and 2-bedroom suites. All guestrooms have a micro fridge and suites feature separate living areas with pull-out sleeper sofas, fully-equipped kitchens and spacious bedrooms (700+sq. ft.). A complimentary Deluxe Continental Breakfast is offered daily and features fresh baked Belgian waffles, eggs, bacon or sausage, pastries and many other continental breakfast items .
Valid March 27-April 30, 2011. For reservations, please call (912) 635-2202 and reference “Spring Break” deals.