What: American Girl Events
Where: NorthPoint Mall, 1000 North Point Circle, Alpharetta, GA | 770-740-9273
When: January 2 – 4, 2013, 4 – 6 pm
Cost: Events are Free (dolls are extra;)
Looking for more free things to do in Atlanta? Purchase 100+ Free Things to do in Atlanta at 50% off.
Kids still out of school for the holiday? Looking for something free to do? American Girl is celebrating the debut of the newest Girl of the Year – Saige. Saige’s coming out party is a celebration of free events for American Girl fans. Here’s what you can expect and how you could win your own Saige doll.
A little about the 2013 American Girl of the Year: Saige is a spirited, imaginative girl who loves painting and horseback riding, She uses her talents and creativity to bring her family and friends together to raise money for an after-school arts program. Saige’s story is about turning passion to persuasion to promote the arts in her community.
Girls visiting the store during the debut celebration receive a doll-sized Saige t-shirt and the opportunity to participate in the following free American Girl Events:
- Saige Drawing Demonstrations: Girls will learn drawing tips from local teaching artists, who will share basic techniques while they draw horses, dogs, landscapes, and other objects inspired by Saige’s stories.
- Horse Collage & Hot Air Balloon Crafts: Girls can let their creativity soar, just like Saige, as they create a horse collage or paper hot-air balloon.
- Saige Scavenger Hunt: Girls will learn about Saige as they go on a fun-filled scavenger hunt, collecting fun facts about the new Girl of the Year along the way.
- Photo Opportunity: Girls can capture a memory of their visit by getting their picture taken alongside a colorful Saige-themed hot-air balloon display.
I love how American Girl empowers girls. In addition to the debut of their new Girl of the Year, American Girl has several initiatives to promote the doll, but also arts education and support for the arts. Here are several activities to get your girl involved in the arts:
- Elevate the Arts School Grant Contest: Starting January 1, elementary art teachers can enter to win one of thirteen grants totaling $45,000 for their schools’ art programs by submitting a digital image of a hot-air-balloon-themed art project and a written essay that conveys why the arts matter in their schools. Entries must be received via the online form by May 31, 2013.
- Soar with Saige Sweepstakes: Girls can share their artistic talents by downloading a hot-air balloon template from americangirl.com/girloftheyear and creating a colorful design using crayons, markers, or pencils. All balloon artwork sent to American Girl by April 1, 2013, will be uploaded to an online hot-air balloon mosaic and automatically entered to win one of ten prize packages.
- Saige Learning Guide: American Girl has teamed up with Americans for the Arts to create this free, downloadable curriculum, which encourages children to draw on their imaginations and discover how creative they can be. Students in grades 3 to 6 will enjoy reading Saige’s stories and doing the fun art activities outlined in this curriculum. Activities for parents to engage in with their kids are also available via Americans for the Arts’ website: AmericansForTheArts.org/go/AmericanGirl.
Want to win your own Saige doll and book set? Enter our giveaway.
a Rafflecopter giveaway